Student Handbook 2016 – 2017
- Divine Child is the largest Catholic, co-ed school in Michigan with 840+ students.
- Our students reside in 49 different zip codes throughout the metropolitan Detroit area. We also have international students from China, South Korea and Vietnam.
- Our families attend 45 different Catholic parishes throughout the Archdiocese of Detroit. Our student body is 89% Catholic.
- Our students matriculated from over 70 different Catholic, public, private, and charter schools.
- 17% of our students identify themselves as students of color (African-American, American Indian, Asian-American, Hispanic or multiracial).
- Our students may attend daily mass at Church of the Divine Child before school or have quiet time for prayer before, during or after school in our High School Chapel.
- All-school liturgies are offered twice each month. DC has three priests on staff.
- Students attend Eucharistic adoration every Tuesday during their religion class.
- All students attend a retreat each year.
- All students complete a minimum of ten service hours each year. Our student body gave back over 15,000 service hours to the metro area last year.
- Reconciliation services are offered on the first Tuesday of each month.
- Our student to teacher ratio is 13:1.
- Over 70% of our teachers have a Master’s Degree or higher.
- Our teachers average nine years of experience at Divine Child.
- All students use iPads for classroom instruction and for homework assignments.
- DC has two computer labs available for student use (one PC lab, and one Mac lab).
- Our 20-acre campus includes air-conditioned classrooms, a Campus Life/Ministry Center, a cafeteria serving hot lunch, a snack bar, the Bernardine Franciscan Learning Center (BFLC), the Falcon’s Nest Spirit Store, a guidance and college counseling center, a video technology room, and three art rooms with two indoor kilns.
- We have a new science lab which will be ready in August, and we anticipate our four other science labs being updated during the summers of 2018 and 2019. Our science wing also contains a greenhouse and a resource center.
Guidance, College Counseling, and Instructional Support
- Our Bernardine Franciscan Learning Center (BFLC) houses a library, learning center, and media center for our students. It is open Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. until 5 p.m., and some Saturday mornings.
- Our Counseling Office has three guidance counselors, a college counselor, and a social worker.
- Our three instructional specialists assist students with mild to moderate learning disabilities. They also work closely with our faculty to develop new teaching strategies to assist all students.
- Our students begin the college search process during freshman year with numerous resources available for college research and planning such as Naviance.
- Divine Child offers over 50 athletic teams in 26 sports:
- Fall sports include cross country (boys & girls), football (boys), golf (girls), sideline cheer (girls), soccer (boys), swimming (girls), tennis (boys), and volleyball (girls).
- Winter sports include basketball (boys & girls), bowling (boys & girls), competitive cheer (girls), figure skating (girls), hockey (boys), pom pon (girls), and wrestling (boys).
- Spring sports include baseball (boys), golf (boys), lacrosse (boys), soccer (girls), softball (girls), tennis (girls), and track & field (boys & girls).
- Our new Divine Child Alumni Athletic Complex includes an 8-lane all-weather track, an all-weather turf field, stadium seating for 2,000 fans, and a concession stand.
- Other athletic facilities include a large gym with indoor walking track, a weight room, a wrestling room, and a practice football/soccer/lacrosse field. Baseball and softball use Levagood Park’s fields right across from our school.
- Over 125 students participate in our nationally recognized band and choral programs. Our band programs include beginner, symphonic, marching, pep, and jazz bands. Our choral programs include varsity chorus, show and jazz choirs, and women’s ensemble.
- Our award-winning drama program produces a Fall drama and a Spring musical annually in our newly refurbished on-campus auditorium which seats 600 people. Our drama club has performed at the International Fringe Festival six times.
- Our extensive art program offers drawing, painting, digital photography, ceramics, woodworking, and art history courses.
- 87.5% of our students who took one or more Advanced Placement (A.P.) exams in May earned college credit, far above the national average of 60%.
- Over 70% of our seniors in the Class of 2017 were offered at least one merit-based college scholarship. The Class of 2017 was offered $14.3 million in scholarships.
- Our Class of 2017 median ACT score is 24. This compared favorably to the national average score of 21, and Michigan’s average score of 20.
- Our Class of 2017 median SAT score is 1180. This compares favorably to the national average score of 1020, and Michigan’s average score of 1001.
- Over 10,000 alumni/ae are proud to call Divine Child their high school alma mater.
- Many of our graduates donate to our Annual Giving campaigns and Class Reunion gifts each year. These gifts help to improve the campus and to keep tuition manageable.
- In addition to 23 teachers being DC graduates, many other alumni help our students through service projects, leadership training, internships, coaching, and mentoring.
Tuition/Need-based Financial Aid
- Tuition for the 2017-2018 school year is $7,100 for in-parish students, and $8,600 for out of parish students. Our tuition is approximately $1,500 to $4,000 less than most private, Catholic high schools in the metro area, without sacrificing a quality education.
- Academic scholarships ranging from $750 to full tuition are awarded each year based on middle school grades and High School Placement Test (HSPT) scores.
- Many of our students receive need-based grants from the Archdiocese of Detroit ranging from $800 – $1,100 per year.
- A family’s first tuition payment is due in May. A 10-month payment plan (July through April) is available for the remaining tuition.
- Divine Child High School is both short-term and long-term debt-free.
- Contact Matt Saxer, Director of Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 313.216.0891 x268.
- Falcon For A day shadow visits are available between mid-September and mid-May.
- Our 8th Grade Discovery Day is Thursday, October 26 from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Our 2017-2018 Open Houses are:
- Sunday, November 5 from 1 – 3:30 p.m.
- Sunday, January 28 from 1 – 3:30 p.m.
- Our 2017 High School Placement Test dates are:
- Main Date: Saturday, November 18 from 8 – 11:45 a.m.
- Make-up Date/Testing Accommodations Date: Saturday, December 2 from 8 – 11:45 a.m. (until 1 p.m. if students require extended time accommodations)